What is the L.E.A.N. Start Program?
The L.E.A.N. Start Program is a comprehensive 6-hour prevention plan delivered in either 3 or 6 weeks to help families with children reach their optimal level in the four pillars of health:
- Lifestyle: how you live
- Exercise: how you move
- Attitude: how you think
- Nutrition: how you eat
This program is based on scientific research and designed by Dr. William Sears, “America’s pediatrician”, and best-selling author as well as other experts in the field of children’s nutrition, health and fitness.
What does L.E.A.N. mean?
Lean means having the right percentage of body fat for you individual body type. Neither too much nor too little body fat is healthy. Lean does NOT mean thin or skinny. For some kids, lean can mean being pretty big. Size itself is not really the issue. What’s more important is that we all have the appropriate amount of muscle for our skeletal frame.
Lean means being strong and healthy.
L.E.A.N. Start provides
- Fun and easy-to-implement tools and information
- Sustainable solutions that help families develop a lifetime of health
- Recipes that make nutrition easy, fun and affordable
- Innovative ideas and activities that keep families moving
Participants will learn
- Which foods are best for growing kids
- How to read nutrition labels
- How to identify good vs. bad fats
- How much protein the body needs
- Creative activities to get the whole family moving
- And practical information for the entire family!
L.E.A.N. Start Program (6 weekly sessions) Overview
This option is the L.E.A.N. Start Program which consists of six 60 minute sessions held weekly. The outline of topics will be:
- Week 1
- Orientation, Traffic Light Eating and Portion Control
- Week 2
- Brainy Breakfast and Healthy Carbs
- Week 3
- Veggies and Fruits
- Week 4
- The Skinny on Fat
- Week 5
- Power up with Protein and Play
- Week 6
- Watering your Growing Child and Evaluation
Each session will consist of:
- Welcome and briefly review the topic.
- Highs & Lows and Goal Achievement
- Individuals will have the chance to share any successes (highs) and/or challenges (lows) from the previous week.
- L.E.A.N. Start Topic of the Week
- Each week we will watch a video presentation. The video is approximately 10-15 minutes.
- L.E.A.N. Start Group Discussion and Activity
- After each video presentation, we will discuss about what was learned from the video presentation. We will also do an activity to further understand the information presented in the video.
- Healthy Snack
- Each week there will be a demonstration on how to prepare a healthy snack that best fits with the topic of that week. Individuals will prepare their own snack so they can see how simple it is to create a healthy snack for themselves and/or their children.
- Review and Goal Setting
- Each weekly lesson will be reviewed and participants will set a weekly goal.
- Questions and Answers
- Participants will have the chance to ask questions.
- Close Session
- We will review the following week’s session.